Bulsho Group offers individualized cross cultural consulting services to Somali immigrants and community agencies in Middle
Tennessee and beyond. When interpretation alone isn’t solving the problem, a cultural familiarity is a great option
to bridging a cultural barrier that can only be reached with unique expertise. You may be using the precise and sincere words to
communicate with your clients while your expression towards them suggest otherwise. Our team of professionals have the
cultural background, expertise and formal training to identify and close common gaps. Our office is based in Nashville,
Tennessee but our services are available in many states across America through local freelance professionals.
Our Services Include:
Job, School, and Housing Applications
General Program Enrollments
Immigration Application Translations
General Resettlement Services
Here are few introductory tips if you want to provide the most appropriate, culturally competent services for your Somali clients:
- Ask Bulsho Group to connect you to Somali leaders in your community to better understand the needs and preferences of the community.
- Establish a relationship with the family before care begins. Be receptive to suggestions, as building respect is essential.
- Use trained professionals interpreters for critical meetings.
- Ask permission before touching a client/patient to offer comfort.
- Ask your patients about Muslim-based dietary restrictions. Muslims do not eat pork. Be aware of resistance to vaccines that contain porcine gelatin, an animal protein.
- Be aware of unexpressed depression, anxiety, and posttraumatic stress common to Somali refugees who have experienced torture and lost family members in war.
- Be aware of the sensitive issue of female circumcision in this population. Keep lines of communication open.
- Repeat information and offer reassurance frequently during long procedures.
- Involve the parents when establishing a service for child.